Sunday 24 November 2013

VALUE THE LIFE OF ALL CREATURES AROUND US.............



While  in the US for my Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program, I noticed and wondered at the fact  that  the animals there had more value to their lives than human life in India.The fact that I did not see a single stray cat or dog there really amazed me! I attributed this to the difference between the developed countries and the developing world. I thought we were too busy trying to make two ends meet,  improve our lifestyle, fight the bad political system etc etc. A shocking incident later, today I think we have no one to blame but ourselves!


I was at a stationary shop in the neighborhood market getting a photocopy of a document I required for my daughter’s passport. I noticed  that the young boy at the photocopier was interested in some activity that was going on in the corridor in front of the shops, a few yards away. I turned to look and  saw a group of men cheering and kicking something around. I assumed they were playing a game. I paid the shopkeeper and turned to walk back home. As I approached the group, I was shocked beyond belief to see that the men were kicking around a mongoose, that must have strayed into a shop. One of them gave the animal such a kick that he landed on the bonnet of a car parked nearby. In the meantime, I had reached the venue of this activity . The men looked at me sheepishly, and the mongoose took the distraction for a fraction of a second to scamper away. I do not know if he would have lived after the massive abuse at the hands of these men. I must add here that these men were around eight in number and were in their 20s and 30s. They were not immature youngsters or school going boys! Before I could blink, they slunk away and just disappeared into the market, just like the mongoose. In any case,  their so called entertainment  was over!!!


I walked back home in a daze, kicking myself for not having spoken. The least I could have done was  to have given them a piece of my mind. The poor animal has been in my mind since then. We humans destroy the  natural habitat of so many creatures like this mongoose, and when they stray into our homes or our neighborhood, because they have no place to go, we either kick them or kill them.:(


We as a people do not respect and value our environment, our trees, our  wildlife, our pets and our other resources, hence land up  not  valuing  our own lives.
Today I have learned that no matter how much we may progress, we will never add  any value to our lives unless we learn to value all the things that nature has given us, which we take for granted!









No comments:

Post a Comment